FS-UK has been updated! Find out more

Farming Simulator UK Forums

Unofficial UK forums for Farming Simulator and FS mods.

Search Rules Chat Wiki Where is everything?

Ahoy there, guest!

Tractor license + insurance info etc

Seen 7454 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
dewie93
500+
Joined May 2009
View my profile

« on: August 27, 2009, 06:42:49 am »

Right... I'm just about to turn 16 and having worked on a farm for over a year driving a JD6230, i'm planning on getting my license so i can go on the rad with it (unsuprisingly) and when I do i can get a job (hopefully) with D&C WRENNALL's (if you're from Lancashire you'll probably of heard of them(there are videos on youtube)). But anyways, I have sent off for my provisional, but after that what do I do? I know you can't drive it on the road until you've past you're test (which is stupid because you can't practice at all) But who do I need to contact to do the test? can it just be my current boss as he has almost all the licenses going (HGV, minibus, motorbike, car etc) or does it have to be a professional person? How much will it cost? What do I need to do to be put on the insurance for the tractor? and when I do, how much will it cost?
The next set of things i want to know is about trailers. The DVLA states: Age 16 for tractors less than 2.45 metres wide, it must only pull trailers less than 2.45 metres wide with two wheels, or four close-coupled. The 6230 is 2.25M wide so thats all sorted.
Firstly: what do they mean by 'four close-coupled'? is that like silage trailers etc? and i guess that can be any length, such as a large bale trailer etc?
and secondly is there a weight limit on what I can pull or is it anything?
Anyway thanks for you're help if you can answer those questions. I just think that farm driving  is really un-informed  Roll Eyes
Kind regards
Jordan

Dell XPS L701x - Intel i7-840QM @1.86GHz (turbo boost to 3.2GHz), 7GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GT445M 3GB DDR3 dedicated, 17"3 LED screen, 1.2TB storage (500GB+640GB)

Custom PC builder - PM if your interested
rossi
500+
Joined March 2009
Once a farmer always a farmer
View my profile

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:00:34 am »

Welcome to the forum Smiley First off might want to check this out http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm read all about it there. But all the info you really need is on here http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2006/07/07/96012/how-to-pass-a-tractor-driving-test-with-ease.html.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Roz
Rushing in, where Angels fear to tread.
1000+
Joined May 2009
Still Amazed By The Schramm Rig
View my profile

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:23 am »

Contact me on Msn Dewie, I've got all the stuff but I just tried to post it and my PC did not like.

dewie93
500+
Joined May 2009
View my profile

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:54:44 am »

Welcome to the forum Smiley  But all the info you really need is on here http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2006/07/07/96012/how-to-pass-a-tractor-driving-test-with-ease.html.
Thanks for the warm welcome Smiley but i clicked on that link and it sends me to a page that does not exist any more :/ strange, but thanks for the help Smiley
and Roz, i sent you a pm as you did not post you're msn address.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:17:13 am by dewie93 » Logged

Dell XPS L701x - Intel i7-840QM @1.86GHz (turbo boost to 3.2GHz), 7GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GT445M 3GB DDR3 dedicated, 17"3 LED screen, 1.2TB storage (500GB+640GB)

rossi
500+
Joined March 2009
Once a farmer always a farmer
View my profile

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:53:00 pm »

hmm odd it worked for me this morning il look into it

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2009/03/26/114884/ready-to-take-your-tractor-driving-test.html try that

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
realfarmertom
500+
Joined May 2009
View my profile

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:24 pm »

Right... I'm just about to turn 16 and having worked on a farm for over a year driving a JD6230, i'm planning on getting my license so i can go on the rad with it (unsuprisingly) and when I do i can get a job (hopefully) with D&C WRENNALL's (if you're from Lancashire you'll probably of heard of them(there are videos on youtube)). But anyways, I have sent off for my provisional, but after that what do I do? I know you can't drive it on the road until you've past you're test (which is stupid because you can't practice at all) But who do I need to contact to do the test? can it just be my current boss as he has almost all the licenses going (HGV, minibus, motorbike, car etc) or does it have to be a professional person? How much will it cost? What do I need to do to be put on the insurance for the tractor? and when I do, how much will it cost?
The next set of things i want to know is about trailers. The DVLA states: Age 16 for tractors less than 2.45 metres wide, it must only pull trailers less than 2.45 metres wide with two wheels, or four close-coupled. The 6230 is 2.25M wide so thats all sorted.
Firstly: what do they mean by 'four close-coupled'? is that like silage trailers etc? and i guess that can be any length, such as a large bale trailer etc?
and secondly is there a weight limit on what I can pull or is it anything?
Anyway thanks for you're help if you can answer those questions. I just think that farm driving  is really un-informed  Roll Eyes
Kind regards
Jordan

hey mate i did the tractor test about 4 years ago and i failed first time lol! did see stop sign watch out for them lol but dont worrie they aint too bad really probs the easiest driving test you will ever do! i past my car first time! lol

ok close couple trailer means 2 axels at the back of the trailer close together like a 10 ton grain trailer. secoundly i would worrie too much about it i was pulling a 14ton trailer a few weeks after my test. if you in a really rural area they never check any way. i mean you can pull a trailer 4 wheel close coupled more than 10ton in weight loaded under 21 and you can drive any tractor wider than 2.45m but you can take a machine the is a max of 3m down the road but you cant drive the combine down the road until your 21 due to width so saidly i do the combine feild work and our employment drive it down the road. One more year!!!! hey lol

JamesS
1000+
Joined June 2009
Also known as Jamesyy
View my profile

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:01:52 pm »

Nice, Driving combine down the road isn't that "fun" but I do love to hold up some impatient people!

I passed mine first time, so i'm sure you can! Good luck mate!

NcFarmboy
Regular
Joined April 2009
View my profile

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 08:29:54 pm »

I have a question..... In the United States we don't have to get tractor licenses or Tractor insurance. So i was wondering how much does the Insurance cost over there?

Sig Image removed - rules state no larger than 500px wide by 150px tall
Roz
1000+
Joined May 2009
View my profile

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:38:12 pm »

£120 for 2 machines for NON commercial Use.

NcFarmboy
Regular
Joined April 2009
View my profile

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:47:25 am »

£120 for 2 machines for NON commercial Use.
ouch that is not very cheap lol

jdpowerfarmer
1000+
Joined May 2009
I Support the LSUK Modteam
View my profile

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 06:34:04 pm »

Still quite cheap compared to some car insurance!

"Your an expert? Well an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure!"
Roz
1000+
Joined May 2009
View my profile

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 09:18:38 pm »

Yea, when I saw a £1000 quote, I decide to investegate Buying a unimog. Its cheaper until i'm 21 if I get one for £4000

I wanna get a quote for my bugatti veron Tongue

Konamad
Regular
Joined May 2009
View my profile

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 06:19:22 pm »

To be honest, if your hoping to work for a contractor or any big employers they won't take studens/young people unless they have a full driving lisence, or come from a farming background i.e farmers son. But having the lisence is great when you get a job on somewhere like a dairy farm where you can be on slurry cart etc. And Close-coupled axels just means an un-balanced trailer (Not a dolly) and most small grain trailers are bellow 2.45m wide but 14tonne + and silage trailers tend to be wider.

Hope this helps!

dewie93
500+
Joined May 2009
View my profile

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 02:13:09 am »

cheers guys! and Konamad...
To be honest, if your hoping to work for a contractor or any big employers they won't take studens/young people ...unless come from a farming background i.e farmers son.
Thanks or the info on the trailers. But i can get into the contracting buisness because altho i'm not a farmers son, the guy that i work for had a son that worked for the same people for a couple of years (including as soon as he was 16) and were very impressed with him. so my boss, this lads dad is in good contact with the owner of Wrennalls (the company) and has said they will take me on when i'm free... i.e during holidays etc. But i have to get my license first!! And (i couldnt fit it in the last section ^^) but i'v been driving tractors and stuff on a farm for over 1 1/2 years and know everything on a tractor apart from checking the oil which is what i shall find out when i go to do sum cultivation this tuesday  Grin
I need more info on insurance now. What do i need to get my boss to do? and will it be difficult putting me on it? and price for a JD6230? and the second thing... firstly, how do you get road-wise practice before you're test? and secondly, what do i need to do to book the test? can i take it almost strait after my 16th b'day? (next sunday).
Thanks for all the info so far guys! keep it comin! Wink Grin
 Oh and rossi, the link worked this time  Smiley thanks! good info on there, but not all i need! but v handy!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:18:34 am by dewie93 » Logged

NcFarmboy
Regular
Joined April 2009
View my profile

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:52 am »

Im paying 950 dollars a year for a 84 dodge truck @ 16 years old

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page