FS-UK has been updated! Find out more

Farming Simulator UK Forums

Unofficial UK forums for Farming Simulator and FS mods.

Search Rules Chat Wiki Gallery Privacy Policy

Ahoy there, guest!

Pros and cons of having my own e-commerce shop

Seen 125 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: [1]
  Print  
james 1057
500+
Joined May 2009

« on: March 14, 2019, 04:40:59 pm »

Hi,

so as the title suggests I would like to gather as much information as possible about the pros and the cons of having my own e-commerce shop.  So a little about what I do, I currently sell on eBay, we have been trading on eBay since July of last year I thought it was a laugh and a bit of fun.  But the thing is, since Septemeber last year we seemed to become very popular very quickly and our eBay has taken off.  We have just opened our facebook shop and that too has taken us by surprise.  And I feel that to be able to maximise the number of items that we sell to the maximum amount of people I would like to know whether it would be worth me having my own e-commerce shop.

We started Jet Goodies as I say in July last year, we started to buy recovered stolen items from the Sussex police and re-selling on eBay, I really didn't think this was going to lead to be nothing more than a hobby.  As many people will know, I had to give up work through my heart condition getting so bad that moving around is sometimes very difficult.  So I decided what I would like to do with a few hours of my day, and as seems to be always the case I was searching for something else when I happened upon the Sussex police website.  I saw what they had and thought that there was more than enough margin in them to be able to re-sell for a good profit.  I spoke to Sussex police and we traded well, buying mostly tools, power as well as hand and bikes electricals that were brand new and boxed.  Car parts is a big part of what we sell, although we have pretty much moved away from that side of things now and we have been given access to some much nicer items. 

So eBay took off, and that was when we discovered the downside to selling on eBay, we started to run out of selling allowance budget we spoke to them and they agreed to up it to £100,000 we have managed to fill this budget regularly.  But eBay knows that we are good at what we do and is now starting to charge some pretty premium fees, and this is leaving me questioning now whether it is worth continuing.  And this is why I have started to think that the best way for us to sell our top designer clothes, trainers, ride on cars and other outdoor toys, as well as film memorabilia and figurines.

So this is where the asking for help and advice is going to come from. 

1, Do you guys think that this is a viable option for me to consider.
2, What costs roughly would it take to set up my own site and maintain it.
3, Would Wix, Go daddy or other similar be good enough to do the job, as budget at the mo is a little tight.
4, If you can think of anything that I'm not, please tell me, your help is massively appreciated.

James
panzer66
500+
Joined November 2009
´´And the stars look very different today..´´

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:24:21 pm »

You could try etsy perhaps?

james 1057
500+
Joined May 2009

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:42:12 pm »

You could try etsy perhaps?

Thanks for the suggestion, but that site the stuff has to be crafted or vintage, i have just had read through their selling t's & c's and we would not be able to list what we sell.
Willbobber
FS-UK Mod Tester
Contributor
Joined February 2016
Knowledge is the spice of life.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:11:12 pm »

Do what everybody else does and setup numerous eBay accounts. More to manage but cost can be kept lower.

Don't follow me I'm lost.
JDMFARMS
Forum Team
Joined January 2014

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:33:09 pm »

If u want your own site as a biz card or even storefront, you can do paypal buttons or link back to ebay. This would keep your web dev and maintenance demands down.  Depending on traffic, google adsence may be some added revenue

Please don't PM me; use the forum so others can learn too!
james 1057
500+
Joined May 2009

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 06:58:42 pm »

Do what everybody else does and setup numerous eBay accounts. More to manage but cost can be kept lower.

Thats an interesting idea, but wouldn't that just lead me to the same problem, we are currently spending a few hundred pounds on fees, its a good idea, i feel that this would spread my fees out, but still amount to the same money overall.

If u want your own site as a biz card or even storefront, you can do paypal buttons or link back to ebay. This would keep your web dev and maintenance demands down.  Depending on traffic, google adsence may be some added revenue

Okay, this might be useful, would i still go to one of the mentioned websites and build the page as i was maybe going to, i mean ideally i would like to get away from eBay as the fees are getting very high.  I also guess that i can list on my page the items, and as you said i could just include the paypal button, which is what we do on facebook, i will look into this a little further.  But any more suggestions please keep them coming.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page