FS-UK has been updated! Find out more

Farming Simulator UK Forums

Unofficial UK forums for Farming Simulator and FS mods.

Search Rules Chat Wiki Gallery Privacy Policy

Ahoy there, guest!

Mega rebuild of the community

Seen 3817 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
TSM
Formerly 'Tycoonspaceman'
1000+
Joined June 2013
"Trust yourself. You know more than you think"

« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2019, 12:27:49 pm »

another reason modders use mod hub is remuneration is console user's Wink

if you look at Giants forum and look at FS-UK the resounding difference is that FS-UK does not have 100's of mod requests from consoles, its lot less cluttered here, the atmosphere here can get frosty from time to time us modders are a fickle bunch who have been known to get a little ANGRY  Grin, but on the hole this forum has so much more to offer in the way of knowledge and members who have a sense of humour.

I seen a few comments about posts getting deleted/archived if they are contentious lot of forums do this simply because it can lead to more trouble and I personally think its right thing to do.

Myself I have issues so if I am annoyed at real world I tend not to post these day's as its easy in wrong frame of mind to post something you can't take back.

Criticizing someones work to me is okay aswell but think about how you say it, think if this was me how would I like it if "your mod sucks you should play minecraft instead" , when explanation of what you don't like presented politely would make so much difference to a person who has in case of Maps put in 100's of hours.

In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends.

"by John Churton Collins"
Yelibam
MVP
Joined November 2009

« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2019, 01:03:27 pm »

Yes we have very few console players here.  In fact we gave up providing a separate help board for the console version of the game.
WrinkleysRule
MVP
Joined December 2014

« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2019, 01:20:29 pm »

Just a couple of thoughts regarding criticism,

There is a saying 'If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen'
Anybody who publishes anything at all to the wide world must expect to get some form of criticism, some get upset and start retaliating by derogratry comments (instantly bolstered by some of their followers) others just give the politicians answer 'Thank you for your feedback, your comments are noted and improvements may be made as a result' (may being the operative word) and others just shrug their shoulders and say 'Only expected really' and get on with it.
One should never be afraid to critisize it can and does sometimes improves things the only two things to ensure is, the critisizer words his thoughts in a way that he would be happy to receive them and the recepient reads them and reflects fully before answering.
One further point although this is an english speaking forum there are many members who have to resort to Google Translate to get their message across and this can sometimes be hilarious and other times be worded not as the poster intended so a bit of leeway is required.

A further well known self explanatory saying is "Least said soonest mended"

I've Seen It Too
BERNIE_SCS
Joined November 2018

« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2019, 10:26:31 pm »

There is a saying 'If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen'
Anybody who publishes anything at all to the wide world must expect to get some form of criticism, some get upset and start retaliating by derogratry comments (instantly bolstered by some of their followers) others just give the politicians answer 'Thank you for your feedback, your comments are noted and improvements may be made as a result' (may being the operative word) and others just shrug their shoulders and say 'Only expected really' and get on with it.
Its funny isnt it ? People are very different ;-)  Welcome to earth.
This has nothing to do with the internet.. Go to your boss and criticizes him.   Wink  Maybe he can handle it maybe not.  Cheesy
Of course i got your point.
Sounds clever , but its wrong.

The most Modders are doing it because of fun. Thats how they are playing the FS.
Modder who are uploading their work just expect some respect.
- They dont get it from the players.
- They dont get it from the youtubers
and they dont get it from the platforms where they have uploaded their work as well.

And the funny story is.. Without the modders... all other people are doomed.
The players must play the game as offered
The youtubers cant introduce mods
and the pages..can only discuss that Cheesy 

Am i wrong ?  Wink 

Chocolatecake2001
As you do...
MVP
Joined June 2013
Every day sees an idea come to life...

« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2019, 11:20:08 pm »

This has nothing to do with the internet.. Go to your boss and criticizes him.   Wink  Maybe he can handle it maybe not.  Cheesy

The most Modders are doing it because of fun. Thats how they are playing the FS.
Modder who are uploading their work just expect some respect.
- They dont get it from the players.
- They dont get it from the youtubers
and they dont get it from the platforms where they have uploaded their work as well.

And the funny story is.. Without the modders... all other people are doomed.
The players must play the game as offered
The youtubers cant introduce mods
and the pages..can only discuss that Cheesy 

Am i wrong ?  Wink 

I'd say you're seeing the situation extremely negatively. A large portion of the game players have a lot of respect for modders, yes people can be pushy at times but that should be taken as a compliment that that they like the quality of the modder's work. As well as this, I don't think I've ever watched a YouTube video where the creator abhorrently disrespects a modder either.

It's also important to remember that any commenter expects a certain level of respect from the modder. After all it's important to appreciate any opinion whether it be good or bad.

Yes there may be cases of what you're saying being true but I believe you're shoving a lot of people under the same bus.

Of cause the game would be a lot worse without the modders however I'd love to see the day that every modder suddenly disappears because of the situation you seem to be imagining.

Thanks|Chocolatecake2001

“Ole’s at the wheel, tell me how good does it feel...”
Nottinghamshire the forest county, home of the Deere since 1966...
milpol
MVP
Joined January 2012
RSend Software, we create mods with Blender.

« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2019, 01:04:33 am »

In regards to modding and modding standards, it is interesting to read the last half a dozen comments here. Yes, some have gone off in a huff about being rejected due to high standards required and to be honest a lot have not been modding for any extended period of time. There is a lot more to modding than punching out a 3D model, a quick XML and texture pack, even more so with the new system in FS19. The 3D model has to be efficient, otherwise its going to have an impact on video cards (hence Giants polygon budget), then it has to be correctly coded (XML in the required format) next to consider is the textures, yes we have a new texturing system to work to that is certainly not perfect but has its own logic, to complicate that we have a new specular system where a poorly constructed wear or dirt mask can make or break a mod. Gone are the days when one could use a cloud effect in the Spec texture creation. A modder has t be a lot more proficient in creating this. Said modder has the choice of programs like susbstance painter or an image manipulation software program. This can take as many hours to create as it does to create a 3D model. A true model maker and for that mater where required, map makers will invest many many hours refining their skills. To expect to be able to mod to a high standard in only a few months is not realistic unless you have nothing better to do with any spare time. To parallel and or maintain high standards is what FS-UK need to aim for. This will increase or maintain a reputation for quality, any modder not willing to attain that standard to be honest should be welcome to post and host their product some where else IMHO. A correctly written rejection should be welcomed as constructive criticism and inspiration to both correct and exceed the issue/standard originally offered and if one is stuck, ask for help. I can not say or word any stronger that we need to maintain a standard that sets the bar when it comes to mods and maps, this is what attracts consumers and those not willing to attain that standard are free to venture else where.  In regards to financial reward (offered by Giants), a point to remember, not everyone is driven by the $, some prefer recognition for a job well done, this is not just in any FS modding hub or forum, its a fact of life in the real world, not every one is money motivated but most value recognition for quality work/work ethic because at the end of the day, we all have ego's and no one likes to be left out. Just another 2 bob of mine.
BERNIE_SCS
Joined November 2018

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2019, 10:04:38 am »

@Chocolatecake2001  My post regards criticism not insults. And the modders receives criticism from everybody.
@milpol  in my opinion the first part you have written is correct. Bud the second half is in contradiction to the first. 
the higher the qualitative demand is, the less modder will upload mods here..  as you rightly said, not everyone is willing to do more in their spare time.
The youth will not get it very quickly.  To learn those programs..you spend years to get this lever you talking about ;-)

And that means that any modder who can do it today and leaves the com tomorrow  can't be replaced quickly.

Regs Bernie

Chocolatecake2001
As you do...
MVP
Joined June 2013
Every day sees an idea come to life...

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2019, 10:13:41 am »

@Chocolatecake2001  My post regards criticism not insults. And the modders receives criticism from everybody.
@milpol  in my opinion the first part you have written is correct. Bud the second half is in contradiction to the first. 
the higher the qualitative demand is, the less modder will upload mods here..  as you rightly said, not everyone is willing to do more in their spare time.
The youth will not get it very quickly.  To learn those programs..you spend years to get this lever you talking about ;-)

And that means that any modder who can do it today and leaves the com tomorrow  can't be replaced quickly.

Regs Bernie

You can criticise somebodies work and still have respect for them. If you can’t face criticism then the internet isn’t a place for you because it’s given out much more than gratitude. It’s the modder’s job, to firstly respect the poster like I said in my previous post, then choose whether to ignore or take on board the criticism. Obviously if it’s worded badly, criticism can seem harsh but it’s extremely easy just to ignore that post and move on to the next person who posts criticism with a higher level of respect.

Thanks|Chocolatecake2001

“Ole’s at the wheel, tell me how good does it feel...”
Nottinghamshire the forest county, home of the Deere since 1966...
WrinkleysRule
MVP
Joined December 2014

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2019, 12:02:18 pm »

This has nothing to do with the internet.. Go to your boss and criticizes him.  Maybe he can handle it maybe not.

My post was a general view of criticism and did not refer to anything in particular
Anybody who publishes anything at all to the wide world must expect to get some form of criticism,
modding or otherwise so in that context I would be intrigued to know why and how it is wrong

On the modding side there was this post by Stegei regarding Quality
Stegei   
    GIANTS Software | CTO   

Re: Giants modhub quality?

Post by Stegei » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:42 pm
We usually do not reject mods for bad quality in terms of visuals. If they do work as promised and don't use an extensive amount of resources they will be accepted.
If you are looking for only the best quality mods, then lookout for the "top" flag, which only the mods get we think also have certain level of quality.

We have actually lowered the minimal level of visual quality needed to enter the mod hub over time (even before the release of FS19), as we found that quite a lot of people still like to have at least a low quality version of some vehicle/map they are looking for rather than not having it at all.

However as usual what is said and what is done are two different things as several mods have been rejected by modHub for not having texture qualitys consitent or better than the ones ingame.
As milpol has said FS19 is totally different when it comes to texturing and other things than previous versions and the old ways although still usable are noticeably inferior when viewed in game, some may be happy with that others not.
Some modders will leave because of the changes to FS19 , there will be no quick fix or sudden influx as it takes time to get to grips with new ways and new software but I have no doubt others will take their place eventually.

I've Seen It Too
sootysax
Veteran
Joined February 2014

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2019, 02:12:05 pm »

I'm sure it's already been said, I haven't read the entire thread.  But FS-UK used to be the place where you could get top quality, tested, mods..   and the home base and place to get support for some of those best mods ever (followme, soilmod, More Realistic).   That made FS-UK the absolute place to be for modding...

Now there are really no mods to speak of on FS-UK.   GIANTS Modhub has become the place the majority of mods are released, and that's a drag, because the forums on GIANTS are a disaster, and there is really zero mod support there.

I find I have to hunt down where the 'official' support site is for a given mod, and sometimes its pretty hard or impossible to find, because a google search just shows every hack mod site that all mods are on nowadays.

I assumed that FS-UK would be the official support site for Marwell Manor when I came on to discover the fiasco around that..

Official support sites are still very important especially around complex scripting mods that are going to need support..   I'm hoping that it this place will continue to be that for mods that traditionally have been here (for Deckers MMIV's hopefully future conversion, etc).
JDMFARMS
Forum Team
Joined January 2014

« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2019, 04:00:01 pm »

the higher the qualitative demand is, the less modder will upload mods here..  as you rightly said, not everyone is willing to do more in their spare time.
The youth will not get it very quickly.  To learn those programs..you spend years to get this lever you talking about ;-)

Regs Bernie

This relates to the current software industry norm.  Its a launch with minimal quality and then frequent updates.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:09:08 pm by JDMFARMS » Logged

Please don't PM me; use the forum so others can learn too!
MF5480man
500+
Joined April 2015
If she ain't red, leave 'er in the shed

« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2019, 04:39:34 pm »

Another suggestion for an update of the site, is that you get notified when someone comments on your support topic, as I never remember to check the support topic for my map and there's been a few occasions where people have been left frustrated over an issue with the map that hasn't been helped with, just a thought Smiley

Pressing Cntrl S instead of Cntrl D and clicking on that random bit of map instead of the tree you're trying to duplicate for the 17th time since 2014
North Stone Farm 2017
Brockham Estate 2019 WIP
'Araf deg mae mynd ymell'
milpol
MVP
Joined January 2012
RSend Software, we create mods with Blender.

« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2019, 10:53:03 pm »

Another suggestion for an update of the site, is that you get notified when someone comments on your support topic, as I never remember to check the support topic for my map and there's been a few occasions where people have been left frustrated over an issue with the map that hasn't been helped with, just a thought Smiley
I agree with this, it would be very handy as it is easy to miss a post and an issue could go unresolved for a while.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page