Farming Simulator UK Forums

The biggest unofficial UK forums for Farming Simulator.

Search Rules Chat Wiki Gallery Privacy Policy

Ahoy there, guest!

Constructive Criticism?

Seen 575 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Farminator
Joined June 2018

« on: January 06, 2019, 04:50:29 pm »

Please don't read this as a complaint, but perhaps more a suggestion.  I'm not OCD in any sense of the words, but somehow the introduction of FS19 has led to a certain amount of corruption of the various boards and mod sites.  Well, corruption as I see it.  I still don't have hardware capable of playing/modding with FS19, and in fact, can't even do any modding other than a few XML file tweaks with my current hardware.  GE won't run on my machine, but I DO enjoy playing the game.  So much, my step-daughter gave me FS19 for Christmas.  Gotta love kids that give 60 year olds video games for Xmas.

Back to the issue, the message boards and mod servers tend to lack the organization to segregate FS17 and FS19, which make it hard to filter out the FS19 noise (no offense intended to the noise makers) when looking for information about FS17.  I have 19, but as I don't play it yet, FS19 topics don't particularly interest me [yet], especially with the lack of converters etc to port maps I've been playing for a while.  It's pretty annoying to start over again, really, so since I don't want to do that yet, I continue to pound away with FS17.  When I get bored with the maps I play, then I'll move on to FS19.

That said, is it possible to segregate the FS-17 and FS-19 communities and downloads, leaving me the options to lurk in both and speak up when I see fit?  I'm quite a lurker and try to only speak up if I have somethingI think is constructive to suggest.   So, if you see this as a complaint, I'm not interested in being bashed for making a suggestion, so just leave me be.  But if you see it as a worthwhile suggestion, then please, let's ask the moderators.  The game versions are different enough that they have totally different conversations.   IMHO, as humble as it is, they probably should be in different forums.  

If you agree, thanks.  If not, well, I am just  a lurker.  Still a newbie after several months.  Most of my questions I answer by searching and reading, but the searches are heavily overlapping now with two games being discussed in one community.  I often find myself in blind alleys with my searching now.  Not sure how the moderators would implement this, but it looks like they've done so fairly well with FS15 and FS17.
Patrick
Manager
Joined June 2011

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:47:17 pm »

Separating the downloads is easily done and this feature is already in place, as seen in the picture below.  

Creating a separate forum for each version of the game would never work. It would be far to much work to put into each website that is only going to last a few years. You would eventually end up with no members on either site, is the long and short of it.

I had a look through the modding boards and I get what your saying. Most topics show no indication of what game is being discussed and since the newest version of the series is fs19, all the latest topics are assumed to be about that.  Which makes it difficult for guys still looking for modding help on older versions of the game.

One thing that we could do, is try and get people to put what game is being discussed in the topic title. So for example, "[Fs19] log error problem". It would only be needed for the modding boards and maybe it could even be made automatic where the website forces you to choose a category and it adds the game to the title. That might help people to find what their looking for a little quicker, but its just an idea  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:50:18 pm by Patrick » Logged

Farminator
Joined June 2018

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:10:53 pm »

Thanks for the reply Patrick.

I guess I just haven't looked deep enough for the filters on the downloads (probably because I haven't downloaded much from here), but don't typically have much problem picking off which version they're for.  But yep, spot on with what I was saying about the message boards.  Even if someone put something in the topic, it would still be pretty difficult to filter off the 'noise' from other versions.  It would be easy to see that it didn't apply I guess, if that descriptor was in the subject and allow me to skip on to the next a little quicker.  That 'noise' is valuable information to people wanting to discuss that version, of course, but makes for a lot of messages to drill down through to find the info for a particular version.  If it's a discussion about a particular mod with a version number, that's pretty easy.  Not so much when it's an in-game command for the debugger or something.  Some carry the same name, but have far different effects in the game across versions.

This forum reminds me a lot of old BBS software from back in the good ol' days of dialup internet service.  I ran one for a while, and yes, you are correct, more message bases make more work.  The separate child communities help, but not knowing the extent of the maintenance issues with the software, can't say I feel your pain on that one.  I'll just have to accept what you say.  For example, I use a similar forum, and probably running under the same forum software for my old Ford truck.  They have the communities set up based on different generations of the truck (major model changes, which Ford typically keeps for about 10 years).  It filters off a lot of information that I don't need or just isn't applicable to my vehicle.

Is what it is, I guess, and it was just a thought that popped in my head.
jgregg624
FS-UK Mod Tester
Contributor
Joined September 2010
I'm just gonna leave this here...

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:00:05 pm »

Separating the downloads is easily done and this feature is already in place, as seen in the picture below. 

Creating a separate forum for each version of the game would never work. It would be far to much work to put into each website that is only going to last a few years. You would eventually end up with no members on either site, is the long and short of it.

I had a look through the modding boards and I get what your saying. Most topics show no indication of what game is being discussed and since the newest version of the series is fs19, all the latest topics are assumed to be about that.  Which makes it difficult for guys still looking for modding help on older versions of the game.

One thing that we could do, is try and get people to put what game is being discussed in the topic title. So for example, "[Fs19] log error problem". It would only be needed for the modding boards and maybe it could even be made automatic where the website forces you to choose a category and it adds the game to the title. That might help people to find what their looking for a little quicker, but its just an idea  Smiley

Is it possible to change the thumbnail image (currently the case tractor from fs 2011 I think we first saw it) to custom ones for each area of the forum? So for fs 19 ares we could have a John Deere (or fs 19 logo) fs 17 maybe a Valera or fendt or something and so on and so foruth?

Oli
Admin
Joined March 2009

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:54:44 am »

Is it possible to change the thumbnail image (currently the case tractor from fs 2011 I think we first saw it) to custom ones for each area of the forum? So for fs 19 ares we could have a John Deere (or fs 19 logo) fs 17 maybe a Valera or fendt or something and so on and so foruth?

Not easily, the forum uses three images; full colour for unread threads, faded for unread child boards and black and white for no unread threads. However we will possibly look into updating the icon

jgregg624
FS-UK Mod Tester
Contributor
Joined September 2010
I'm just gonna leave this here...

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 10:13:01 am »

Not easily, the forum uses three images; full colour for unread threads, faded for unread child boards and black and white for no unread threads. However we will possibly look into updating the icon
So what you’re saying is that if you wanted a separate image for each area of the forum you’d need 3 images as such and multiplying that across say 10 areas suddenly becomes 30 images?
Possible but just very time consuming for what you gain at the end?

Oli
Admin
Joined March 2009

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:17:12 am »

So what you’re saying is that if you wanted a separate image for each area of the forum you’d need 3 images as such and multiplying that across say 10 areas suddenly becomes 30 images?
Possible but just very time consuming for what you gain at the end?

You'd have to create an avatar style system like on your profile for it to work. The number of images required isn't exactly an issue, just we've got a few other things we need to sort first before we can start adding features like that Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page