Farming Simulator UK Forums

The biggest unofficial UK forums for Farming Simulator.

Search Rules Chat Wiki Gallery Privacy Policy

Ahoy there, guest!

Graphics issue

Seen 3020 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Mod Addict
MVP
Joined August 2012
Virtue mine honour

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 07:41:55 pm »

Well I purchased the Dvi-d to vga adapter as mentioned in the link in previous comment. The monitor turns on, Acer appears breifly for a few seconds then the screen goes black, and the display light turns orange as if the computer has gone into sleep/hibernation mode! I’m not quite sure where to go from here

I am gonna toss out a thought here and I could be wrong but I think you might need a bigger power supply. Based on the specs you listed this is an Acer Aspire M3970 desktop PC with a 300 watt power supply. This being said it was built per spec to run what it came with and now you are taking a GPU that only needs 25w and replacing it with one that needs 75w. And 50 watts might not seem like much but it could very well be past the limit for this. Based on the display coming on but no video feed and it turning off it sounds as if the GPU isn't getting the needed power to run.

I am hoping you can get this sorted so you can get back to FS paul.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:49:05 pm by Mod Addict » Logged

Over a 1000 mods collected and counting...had to start over for 19 so now 260 mods and counting. And can help test if wanted/needed.
Millers Farm
Joined January 1970

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 08:13:44 pm »

OK new card old monitor it's probably stuck in wrong hz...  if vga not working or Hdmi then make sure on board graphics on motherboard disabled and your actually using card and plugging cables into card and not onboard. Try unplugging monitor from power then restart try another monitor if all else fails see if that helps
Also the adapter may not work for that screen if u can check on another screen thay cards a solid card will serve you well if u can in time bump up to 8gb and u be off 1080p 60fps...  Thay processor is solid too..  Keep it cool and she will serve u well
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:20:46 pm by Millers Farm » Logged
Mod Addict
MVP
Joined August 2012
Virtue mine honour

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2018, 10:41:50 pm »

OK new card old monitor it's probably stuck in wrong hz...  if vga not working or Hdmi then make sure on board graphics on motherboard disabled and your actually using card and plugging cables into card and not onboard. Try unplugging monitor from power then restart try another monitor if all else fails see if that helps
Also the adapter may not work for that screen if u can check on another screen thay cards a solid card will serve you well if u can in time bump up to 8gb and u be off 1080p 60fps...  Thay processor is solid too..  Keep it cool and she will serve u well

The monitor has nothing to do with the card not working. 60hz is standard for monitors unless you are running an old CRT in which case that is just too far back to even mess with but even then I think it was 60hz. Monitors default to 60hz even if they are 144hz and I know this because my monitor is 144hz but it defaults to 60 unless I specify it to run higher. But you do have a point on making sure not to use the onboard graphics.

Anyway I have put my thoughts into this and I hope it gets sorted.

Over a 1000 mods collected and counting...had to start over for 19 so now 260 mods and counting. And can help test if wanted/needed.
Blue Painted
Veteran
Joined January 2017

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:20 pm »

I haven't seen a monitor that only has VGA on it for years, which makes me wonder how how the monitor is?

Ford tractors, Claas combines and Dowdeswell ploughs!
Millers Farm
Joined January 1970

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 11:32:09 pm »

The monitor has nothing to do with the card not working. 60hz is standard for monitors unless you are running an old CRT in which case that is just too far back to even mess with but even then I think it was 60hz. Monitors default to 60hz even if they are 144hz and I know this because my monitor is 144hz but it defaults to 60 unless I specify it to run higher. But you do have a point on making sure not to use the onboard graphics.

Anyway I have put my thoughts into this and I hope it gets sorted.

depends on what res he has been running if hes been running higher res or lower res the monitor depending also on fresh install of drivers can get stuck in the previous resolution especially if its just had new card also if its been running higher like 70hz i was suggesting this .. i and test at 144hz and if i change cards over this can happen i have to sometimes force the resolution back to below 1080p especially if no drivers have been installed or a complete uninstall of the older driver has not been done.. has anyone suggested that a clean uninstall of the old gpu drivers have been done
Mod Addict
MVP
Joined August 2012
Virtue mine honour

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 03:59:32 am »

I haven't seen a monitor that only has VGA on it for years, which makes me wonder how how the monitor is?

Well considering the i5-2300 series CPU was released in the 3 quarter of 2011 I would venture to guess the monitor is about the same age which is what 7yrs old now. But it worked fine with the old GPU on FS17 which makes me think the monitor is fine and the PCIe slot on the board is fine. The old GPU worked fine but wouldn't run FS19 due to the higher vram needed. The problem is these pre-built budget PC's are just that and when they are built everything is put together to run what it comes with. The companies never consider the possibility of people trying to upgrade components later. These are what I consider throw away PC's and you get a decent amount of use out of them but in the end that is all you get unless you are willing to go threw the hassle of trying to upgrade them which is what paul is facing now.

And almost always an older monitor like this one will default to the standard resolution upon install of a new video card at which time one must re-select the desired settings. Most VGA monitors that I know of are not able to run at anything higher than 60hz which wouldn't cause it to lock at anything higher than the 1050ti can handle.

Sorry I wasn't planning on dragging this out but I have been building my own rigs for 20yrs and I always geek out on computers....It a weakness I have lol.

yumi
Veteran
Joined May 2012

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 08:22:58 am »

Hello,

One thing you could have forgotten is to connect the video card to the power connector. Depending on the card it might have a 6/8 pins power connector on it that enable getting more power than the one provided by PCI-E port.
Not plugging it might enable to display bios logo but then generally display a message informing you need to connect it
Looking at the pictures, it looks like the MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G has this connector on the top.

moreRealistic fan !
FS17 mr on Lossberg map.
Give a try to ContractorMod!
Now on FS19
Mod Addict
MVP
Joined August 2012
Virtue mine honour

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 12:42:29 pm »

Hello,

One thing you could have forgotten is to connect the video card to the power connector. Depending on the card it might have a 6/8 pins power connector on it that enable getting more power than the one provided by PCI-E port.
Not plugging it might enable to display bios logo but then generally display a message informing you need to connect it
Looking at the pictures, it looks like the MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G has this connector on the top.

Good catch Yumi! I hadn't noticed this as most 1050 cards don't have the 6 pin power connector.

Millers Farm
Joined January 1970

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 12:55:59 pm »

Good catch Yumi! I hadn't noticed this as most 1050 cards don't have the 6 pin power connector.

Easier to tell you models with 6 pin. There are less of them..

ASUS Strix Gaming
ASUS Strix Gaming OC
MSI Gaming X
Gigabyte G1 Gaming
Gigabyte Windforce OC

The rest don't require extra power connectors.

so he has 6 pin

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:57:52 pm by Millers Farm » Logged
yumi
Veteran
Joined May 2012

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 06:51:33 am »

I also thought it was only from 1060 and higher but since I faced the situation on my 1060 I checked

moreRealistic fan !
FS17 mr on Lossberg map.
Now on FS19
HitLog
Joined November 2018

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 11:51:59 am »

Well I purchased the Dvi-d to vga adapter as mentioned in the link in previous comment. The monitor turns on, Acer appears breifly for a few seconds then the screen goes black, and the display light turns orange as if the computer has gone into sleep/hibernation mode! I’m not quite sure where to go from here

If you can get to see your bios splash, go into the bios [usually F2 or DEL on power on] and set primary display adapter to pci-e, or pci [depending on the card you bought].  Different manufacturers have different bios labels, so it might be called first display device or similar.  If you can't get to bios then take the new card out connect the screen to the onboard graphics and try again [making sure you save and exit, then power off, insert card, connect cables, power on].

Sorry to be vague, but there are so many differences by manufacturers. 
paulw91
500+
Joined December 2009

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2018, 04:27:21 pm »

When I took out my old graphics card I don’t recall disconnecting any extra wires (6/8 pins) it only appeared to be connected via the pci express x16 slot, whereas this new graphics card fits into this slot but I don’t appear to have any extra power connectors in my monitor to connect to the new graphics card. Would this mean that being such an old outdated monitor that this new card isn’t compatible?
yumi
Veteran
Joined May 2012

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »

When I took out my old graphics card I don’t recall disconnecting any extra wires (6/8 pins) it only appeared to be connected via the pci express x16 slot, whereas this new graphics card fits into this slot but I don’t appear to have any extra power connectors in my monitor to connect to the new graphics card. Would this mean that being such an old outdated monitor that this new card isn’t compatible?
On your previous card you did not need this kind of additional extra power cable.

The cable is inside the case like shown on this video
https://youtu.be/wctqXrq0sUY?t=281

moreRealistic fan !
FS17 mr on Lossberg map.
Now on FS19
stdape
Veteran
Joined August 2016

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2018, 10:50:17 pm »

The power for the card is not on the monitor. On your power supply in computer, there is somtimes a lead with 4 pins square, it slots onto the motherboard, if it has a socket. Its for powering the Graphics Card in some cases. Some Cards have slots on there instead. Its hard to say not knowing motherboard.
Looking at card would need power somewhere, 4gb Ram is low as already said 300 watt power supply is small, might struggle. Would say at least a 600 watt, so it doesn't over work it.
Its most likely the power slots are on the back of the card.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:59:20 pm by stdape » Logged
paulw91
500+
Joined December 2009

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 04:03:49 pm »

So I found the lead with 4 pins which is plugged to the motherboard, however the only port I have on the graphics cards is for a 6 pin plug??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page