FS-UK has been updated! Find out more

Farming Simulator UK Forums

Unofficial UK forums for Farming Simulator and FS mods.

Search Rules Chat Wiki Gallery Privacy Policy

Ahoy there, guest!

Trailers Capacity

Seen 497 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: [1]
  Print  
usaricBR
Joined October 2018

« on: October 27, 2018, 05:21:05 am »

So, I recently bought the Kroeger TAW30 Trailer with 45000L capacity. But then I filled it ip with some grains and it only held 41500L, no matter which crop. Is there any logical explanation in changing the capacity of the trailers by the mod? Thanks.
Vorden
Regular
Joined November 2016
Farm Sim Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 05:41:40 am »

To my understanding the mod changes the capacity to what the trailer could actually carry in real life based on actual cargo volume of the trailer.  Giants seems to fudge the capacity on the high side vs real life.  dural probably has a better answer.  Keep in mind Giants has grain weight about 50% of reality so even with the lesser capacity the trailer is going to be around 80% heavier fully loaded.  Also it should be mentioned a lot of trailers will reach maximum allowed weight before they are completely full of grain, at least from a legal standpoint.

usaricBR
Joined October 2018

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:55:53 pm »

I understand, but volume is different from weight. So the constant volume of 41500 litres in a trailer of 45000 litres of capacity doesn´t seem right, specially when you consider that no matter which crop you use (canola, wheat, sugarcane....) it also fills to 41500. And then I checked the specs of the TAW 30 in Kroeger website and there it states that this trailer has a load volume that ranges from 45 m3 to 51.5 m3 (45000L - 51500L), depending on equipment. Maybe the mod could just simulate the weight without having to decrease the volume levels, i don´t know... just a thought. By the way, if I want to change it to the original volume, how can I do it?

Thanks.
webalizer
Area Moderator
Joined August 2013

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 02:07:53 pm »

Change mrFillVolumeCapacity in FS17_moreRealistic/data/vehiclesOverriding/trailers/kroeger/kroegerTAW30.xml

Code:
    <fillUnits>
        <fillUnit unit="$l10n_unit_literShort" fillTypeCategories="bulk" capacity="45000" mrFillVolumeCapacity="41500" />
    </fillUnits>

I´m pretty sure that dural changed this on purpose...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:09:28 pm by webalizer » Logged
usaricBR
Joined October 2018

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 02:38:00 pm »

Thanks, man. I will give it a try.
Tass
Regular
Joined January 2014

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 03:47:32 pm »

a trailers capacity is only useable when filled with a liquid (theoretically)
Any grain type will leave air pockets, ever so small, it does not fill the trailer completely. Therefore the real capacity of a trailer is lover when measured i litres, than "advertised"

Potatoes for example, will leave bigger gabs in between then barley because they are so big and oddly shaped.

the difference in MR is most likely to accommodate this. Hence the name "more realistic" :-)
usaricBR
Joined October 2018

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 03:04:45 am »

I understand. But to be realistic then, each different crop should have different fill levels, and they don´t. So, considering the TAW30 ranges from 45000 to 51500 litres, it would not be unrealistic to stick at the minimum 45000. IMHO,  reducing the capacity to 42000 or 39000, for example, does not make things realistic, you are just telling "I don´t like this fill number, so I prefer to put this number instead". Hope this makes sense.
webalizer
Area Moderator
Joined August 2013

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 07:58:30 am »

But to be realistic then, each different crop should have different fill levels.
No. A Liter or m3 is a fixed unit of measurement. What differs is the mass of what you fill in. And that density is 100% realistic in mr:
http://mr.tlg-webservice.de/wiki/?lang=en#mr_helpTitle_12

As said before: i´m pretty sure dural had a good reason to lower the capacity. Maybe he will answer ;-)
Cerben
Regular
Joined September 2013

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 08:50:33 am »

The fill levels are ther so that you cant overload max wheigt of axels and so on. If you fill the trailer whit solid fertilizer it Will be realy heavy so the joints Will behave less then realistic if we. Campare it to straw

to many hours on Belgique profonde v2 ;-)
usaricBR
Joined October 2018

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 06:16:16 pm »

You are right. I made a mistake when I said "different crops should have different fill levels". Indeed, if volume is the amount of space an object or matter occupies, that space (capacity) will be fullfilled with a given object or matter. So, that volume is pretty much a constant, right? I´m thinking that what will differ is the total mass of the cargo, thus impacting on density (a 40000L trailer of water has a total mass of 40t, but that same trailer, with that same space - 40000L - fullfilled with potato will not weight 40t, since potato´s density is not equal to water, which is a homogeneous substance, right?) So, what the MREngine Mod does is simulate the mass of a full trailer, given the different densities of matter. In other words, if I load a 40000L trailer with cotton, that trailer will hold 40000L of cotton. On the other hand, if I put beans, that same trailer will hold 40000L of beans, but the difference will be the mass of that trailer.

Nonetheless, I believe that doesn´t change my thought when I stated that "reducing the capacity to 42000 or 39000, for example, does not make things realistic, you are just telling ´I don´t like this fill number, so I prefer to put this number instead´". MR can simulate different weights without having to change the fill levels of the trailers. I´m not sure why Dural reduced the capacity of all trailers in the game. That´s what I need to understand. Thanks for debating this.

Cheers!
dural
Area Moderator
Joined May 2010

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 04:46:10 pm »

I´m not sure why Dural reduced the capacity of all trailers in the game. That´s what I need to understand. Thanks for debating this.
Hi, this is indeed a good qestion. I think I already answered this somewhere, but here is the real thing behind it :
Please fully filled the trailer in the game and look at it "carefully". (with or without MR)
You will clearly see the trailer is NOT fully filled at its DIN capacity (there is space left to be filled in the trailer, visually speaking). For some trailers in the game, this is not something "huge". For others, like the Kroeger, the difference is just not acceptable for me.  In such case, I modified the trailer capacity to match what we see in the game => make the game more realistic considering how the trailer is visually filled.

usaricBR
Joined October 2018

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 01:35:55 am »

Hi, this is indeed a good qestion. I think I already answered this somewhere, but here is the real thing behind it :
Please fully filled the trailer in the game and look at it "carefully". (with or without MR)
You will clearly see the trailer is NOT fully filled at its DIN capacity (there is space left to be filled in the trailer, visually speaking). For some trailers in the game, this is not something "huge". For others, like the Kroeger, the difference is just not acceptable for me.  In such case, I modified the trailer capacity to match what we see in the game => make the game more realistic considering how the trailer is visually filled.

Wow, you went that far in realism? Man, you must be of Virgo sign. Jokes apart, let´s just pretend that the visual filling of crops in the trailers are the acceptable difference in a margin of error. Thanks for sharing your idea.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:40:01 am by usaricBR » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page