Farming Simulator UK Forums

The biggest unofficial UK forums for Farming Simulator.

Search Rules Chat Wiki Gallery Privacy Policy

Ahoy there, guest!

Announcement: Forum Management

Seen 6855 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Chocolatecake2001
As you do...
MVP
Joined June 2013
Every day sees an idea come to life...

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2019, 05:02:36 pm »

It’s interesting seeing how quickly something can turn into an argument on the forum now to be honest.

First and foremost, opinions are the most important thing in life. It can be good or bad but where would any of us be without being told what we need to do to improve by somebody else or even (rarely in a lot of cases) what we’ve done correctly. British people in general are a negative group, so there will undoubtedly be some debate and frustration as a result of that in a forum where you can hide behind a persona and not face consequences for hurting somebodies feelings.

Social media was always going to be an issue for the forum as it got older because the age demographic that would be interested in the forum got more and more used to sharing everything about their lives on other places with each new year. And of cause social media is much less moderated than this forum so all of a sudden there is a gulf in your ability to share your opinion: good or bad.

And this is where the problem lies. FS-UK has been overmoderated in my opinion, whether that be because of the rules set or the people appliying them. Now while that might not affect your average forum poster who wants to ask a question, it does remove characters from the forum that are more open with sharing their opinion and thus creating debate and conversation.

It’s all fine having your yes men (and women)  in the forum who will occasionally contribute, but these aren’t the type of people whom say something ridiculous or spontaneously share their thoughts on something.

Now don’t get me wrong, there is a manor in which anybodies opinion should be put across and of cause this should be controlled on a ‘family friendly’ forum (whatever that means anymore). However I don’t believe it’s the moderators job to mute the louder voices in the community so there is never anything controversial said on any topic (deleting messages excessivley/ locking topics when people start sharing their honest opinions) , instead it might be to PM the author of a comment and tell them to reword it or just to post in the topic if things are getting too fiery.

This topic will inevitably be locked if more people start sharing negative opinions so I’ll end my comment with a positive one, saying that it’s extremely impressive FS-UK has managed to last this long in such a competitive stage of its life with more and more social media options available. I’ve never considered ‘leaving’ the forum despite the lack of life around the place because that is egotistical, rather it’s nice to step away sometimes and then come here in the knowledge that there will be a great screenshot on the front page, or perhaps a WIP mod that really leaves an impression.

I’m sure changes might be made around here for the better good at some point, but until then I’ll just comment my opinion here in the hope that it’s not too negative.

Thanks|Chocolatecake2001

“Ole’s at the wheel, tell me how good does it feel...”
Nottinghamshire the forest county, home of the Deere since 1966...
james 1057
500+
Joined May 2009

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2019, 05:10:26 pm »

Fairy cakes and flowers, a cocooned world I live in run my way.  Okay, so people, decide do you want fairy cakes and flowers or a dictatorship that allows no form of an opinion.  Hanging over a forum like a dark shadowy cloud, that makes you terrified you might say something wrong and offend.  That tells us we are entitled to our opinions but we are wrong, what, according to you.  And a cocooned world that I live in, how cocooned does your world have to be not to see the problem that's going on right in front of your nose, must be the smell of those flowers that are throwing you of the real scent of what's happening.  You pretty much in your two responses summed up beautifully my point.
JamesS
1000+
Joined June 2009
Also known as Jamesyy

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2019, 05:11:19 pm »

There's 2 people in this topic who have said things as they are, I don't know but I've been about the forum for a few minutes or so, I really think those two people need to have what they have said acknowledged, as far as i'm concerned is pre FS13 forums is where it's at, anything after that is where it's turned. I shan't say no more in topic but I know few of us would be willing to say more.

JamesS
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:23:01 pm by JamesS » Logged

Miserable grumpy sod.
JDMFARMS
Forum Team
Joined January 2014

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 05:30:07 pm »

There's 2 people in this topic who have said things as they are, I don't know but I've been about the forum for a few minutes or so, I really think those two people need to have what they have said acknowledged, as far as i'm concerned is pre FS13 forums is where it's at, anything after that is where it's turned. I shan't say no more in topic but I know few of us would be willing to say more.

JamesS

Ever hear the phrase, spend 90% of effort on 10% of the people?  Yes, more need to speak up if there are truly issues not being address. Otherwise its one off opinions, not a community concensus.  Use the appropriate board though
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:31:43 pm by JDMFARMS » Logged

Please don't PM me; use the forum so others can learn too!
Yelibam
MVP
Joined November 2009

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2019, 06:50:28 pm »

Have you really been in charge for 4 years!?

Not quite.  I joined the Forum Team four years ago, at the same time as Patrick.
Three years ago I was promoted to Manager.
Two years ago Patrick became a Manager.
Four months ago I became Community Manager and stepped back a bit.

This_is_Gav then became Forum Manager alongside Patrick as Mod Manager.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:24:16 pm by Yelibam » Logged
Tommx55
Im too lazy to be lazy, but I'm also a hero
3000+
Joined August 2011
A quickie is good but a telehandler is better.. :D

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2019, 08:56:58 pm »

Dorset
500+
Joined December 2014

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2019, 09:57:57 pm »

Nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn't exist.....Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.
Nothing matters very much and hardly anything matters at all.
WMRmodding
pitstop25
Regular
Joined October 2018

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2019, 03:16:25 am »

Having not been a member for Very long I can't really say much about yesteryear on the forums. But one area I can say about from someone that has run and been admin on some of the biggest forms going, is that the best way to adapt to new trends and seeing where you can improve things is to acknowledge and to ask everyone. This can be done by a thread or an actual web form (can be done through Google) give everyone a chance to air their opinions but in a constructive manner is God points bad points and if they have any ideas of things they would to see in the future. Then anyone that posts a huge rant will just have their post removed untill they can grasp how one should word their feedback in a way that the forum staff can actually make use of. I myself have had two not 3, posted removed and I may well have broken the rules and if so that's absolutely fine. As has been said we are human and therefore make mistakes from time to time. But one area that you could improve on is to contact said member in pm and highlight what they have done wrong so they can learn from it. The way it's done right now is very much if we don't like the post then we will remove it and if you do not like it then though. That's an extremely bad way of doing things and will stagnant the forums and some have said this is something that puts them off right now. Nobody is saying your all bad and I'm definitely not but there are facts here being posted and I've seen people saying about their feelings. Sorry but facts do not care about feelings.

I would be gutted to see the forums go as they have been of Great help to me and most members extremely friendly and happy to help.

I hope you read this as constructive criticism and see that I mean no malice to any member be if they are staff or not.

Finally ferwell yelibam. I do not know you all that well and I know nothing of you privet life. I would just like to say I hope everything works out for you bud and I wish you all the best for your future and thank you for the time you have given this community.

“We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.”
JDMFARMS
Forum Team
Joined January 2014

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 04:19:03 am »

Ok everyone, im going to temp lock this thread but steer u over to https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?board=150.0
and provide constructive feedback.  Recommend creating one new "mega rebuild the community" thread there and rally all who have grievences to reply to it and voice their concern with a recommendation on what could be implemented to correct your concern.

Not trying to stifle any opinions or feedback...just channeling and harnessing it to the propper venu.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:30:34 am by JDMFARMS » Logged

Please don't PM me; use the forum so others can learn too!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page