Farming Simulator UK Forums

The biggest unofficial UK forums for Farming Simulator.

Search Rules Chat Wiki Gallery Privacy Policy

Ahoy there, guest!

Announcement: Forum Management

Seen 6858 times - 0 Members and 1 Guest are currently viewing this thread

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
james 1057
500+
Joined May 2009

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2019, 11:59:30 pm »

I think Fs Uk need to take a look at themselves also, this site started going downhill when a small tightknit group of friends all got jobs as moderators and forum managers and everything else.  It quickly became apparent to me that they had within a few months or so turned into them and us.  It became too much like politics, they separated themselves from the community, detached with what made this site a great one and made it so that within reason you could no longer say what your thought.  Bulletbill and a few others would jump down you neck and be all over any little thing, I know I'm going to get lambasted for this off of so many people because I am daring to say something critical about the gods on here, and the thing is, once I cared once I was here all the time, now at most its twice a day.  I don't communicate on here much any more after I made one little comment about seasons, I was hounded upon by the man that ran the topic he was saying what he liked about me and when I responded he was duly deleting my posts, where's that democratical?  All because I had dared to say one thing I didn't like. 

No, for me, the game, nor modhub nor facebook or any other outward source is to blame, I feel the problems lie within.  We're too quick as a society to want to find something to blame for something that is happening to us, and as humans we never question ourselves, I think now is the time for this site to question itself, to take a long hard look and decide where it wants to go for the future, try to figure out what once made it the place to be.  Try to reconnect with the people that once wanted to be here, the first site they visited when they opened their browser, rather than simply now becoming an afterthought.  As I said I know I'm going to be shot down in so many ways for this, but sometimes the truth hurts and until we recognise that, then the downward spiral into the abyss is just going to continue until the bottom is reached and this site is no more.
JDMFARMS
Forum Team
Joined January 2014

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2019, 02:18:24 am »

James,

I think your experiences are the same as what we see come n go.  Ive not been around as long as you but from what i here...it comes through the forum in waves. We work to calm the masses, get them calm and something else emerges. That happens with a multinational multicultural multigenerational community. We just try and find a good balance to keep things positive. Negativity is a toxin which is our primary concern to prevent.  We understand constructive criticism vs whining.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:25:54 am by JDMFARMS » Logged

Please don't PM me; use the forum so others can learn too!
james 1057
500+
Joined May 2009

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2019, 06:54:24 am »

I would say why are trying to eradicate all negativity, this is a natural emotion that is going to happen, its a bit like saying you are trying to control happiness, we don't want no one too giddy.  Allow some negativity, let people get off their chest what they want to say.  Don't get me wrong, this can be done without being personal without swearing or bullying, this has no place anywhere, but if you're angry or you have something to say let them say it.  You know, as a tiny business owner myself I use people negative comments and criticisms against my company to use to turn into a positive.  For example, the comments I made about the season mod, there was nothing wrong with those comments, if that had been me I would have thought, well its another way of doing it, explain why you chose that way and what makes the best way, that way I've learned something, and they have had another suggestion which may or may not turn out to be a good idea.  You know, as a small business I look at it like this, peoples comments and peoples advice and suggestions are all free so I may as well listen, whether I use them or not is up to me, but I lost nothing in seeing another side to it.

I just feel that this site is micromanaged, managed in lots of cases by the wrong people, who's allowed it to go to their head, and this is the result.  And it will always be the result until this is recognised and addressed accordingly.  That's just my opinion.  From someone who has been on here for ten years.
KimG
MVP
Joined April 2015

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2019, 07:29:02 am »

While I cannot remember the comments you made james 1057, I know for sure you were not moderated merely for having an opinion about seasons, there are ways of putting things across that are acceptable and ways that are not acceptable, the forum rules that anyone who registers has to agree to make it quite plain exactly what such borderlines are, if you cross them then you can expect to get your post moderated. The notion that the forum team were on some kind of power trip is ridiculous, in any cases of a serious disruption we discussed carefully any action taken and nothing was done that was outside the established rules, OK, occasionally one of us might get irritated by the stuff we had to deal with and made an error, I know I did on one occasion, but I apologized to the party and we sorted it out between us.  Your comments are of a type I have seen many times on here, they reflect a sort of cocooned existence where you seem to imagine that if the world was run your way then it would all be fairy cakes and flowers, that is, right up until you find that you have a lot of contrary argumentative and disruptive types that do not see things your way to deal with, until your are moderating a forum which runs under the same rules as this one does,then you are without any experience and thus your criticism of the team carries little weight.

Yelibam
MVP
Joined November 2009

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2019, 10:33:04 am »

I don't communicate on here much any more after I made one little comment about seasons, I was hounded upon by the man that ran the topic he was saying what he liked about me and when I responded he was duly deleting my posts, where's that democratical?  All because I had dared to say one thing I didn't like.
As it happens I do remember your comments about Seasons as I had to step in to deal with the situation.  As KimG just said, it was not so much what you said but how you said it.  It was your rude and self-entitled attitude towards one of the creators of Seasons that prompted him to moderate your posts.  As I said at the time, he had every right to do so.

So yes, the forum team did work closely together as a united team to deal with these issues and try to remove that kind of attitude from this forum.

Finally, I think it is quite unacceptable that you should pick out one former member of the forum team for a personal attack.  That member left the forum team some months ago and is no longer a member of FS-UK.  He is not here to defend himself, so I shall.  Considering your attitude as described above, he acted in accordance with our guidelines in dealing with this sort of behaviour on the forum.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:19:51 pm by Yelibam » Logged
Yelibam
MVP
Joined November 2009

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2019, 10:33:50 am »

Thanks Yelibam for all your work on the forum, always the voice of reason!

I do hope so!

Thank you to all for the kind comments.

Now it is time for the current Forum Team to move the site forwards.  I have every faith that they will do so.  Good luck for the future of FS-UK.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:41:14 am by Yelibam » Logged
carl229
Joined October 2013
Northside Farming Group NSFG Worker

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2019, 12:26:19 pm »

the game, nor modhub nor Facebook or any other outward source is to blame, I feel the problems lie within. I think now is the time for this site to question itself, to take a long hard look and decide where it wants to go for the future, try to figure out what once made it the place to be.  Try to reconnect with the people that once wanted to be here, the first site they visited when they opened their browser, rather than simply now becoming an afterthought.  As I said I know I'm going to be shot down in so many ways for this, but sometimes the truth hurts and until we recognize that, then the downward spiral into the abyss is just going to continue until the bottom is reached and this site is no more.

I am sorry but I have to totally agree with James on this statement above, the problem lies within, and till everyone is honest and comes out and says it or things change in finding a good management person who can run it as a community, this site will never change and will come to an end unfortunately, this site don't feel like the community it once was anymore people left for a reason just my opinion Smiley
KimG
MVP
Joined April 2015

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2019, 01:06:18 pm »

Well carl229, you are entitled to agree with James and have your opinion too, doesn't make it correct though.  While it's true many past members are no longer part of the forum, this is the general nature of these things anyway, people rarely stay with a game for longer than a few years, so ordinary attrition accounts for many, a lot more leave due to dissatisfaction with the games development. The few who leave because they are disgruntled and put out because they have been corrected in some way, owing to the fact that they, despite agreeing otherwise, broke the forum rules, regardless of their perceived "value" are small in number and of little significance to the overall numbers.  The primary cause of the forums decline is much more to do with a shift in people using this kind of platform and moving more to slack, discus and discord type platforms.  I don't care how great people are, how good their mods are or how much of a laugh they are, if they cross the line then they get told, if they don't like that then then that's their problem, they agreed to the rules, they must therefore abide by them, any alternative is anarchy and chaos, and that would most certainly lead to a forum absolutely not worth visiting.

carl229
Joined October 2013
Northside Farming Group NSFG Worker

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2019, 01:35:28 pm »

The primary cause of the forums decline is much more to do with a shift in people using this kind of platform and moving more to slack, discus and discord type platforms.

but that statement is like blaming other platforms for the mistakes made on FSUK
wiseguy49
Regular
Joined February 2018

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2019, 02:00:07 pm »

Well carl229, you are entitled to agree with James and have your opinion too, doesn't make it correct though.

So you are entitled to your opinion, but its not correct.... according to who? These kind of comments are Exhibit A in the decline of FSUK. There are plenty of forums that are popping still so I would say that you are entitled to your opinion of whats going on but in my opinion you are wrong.

Lets talk about "the person who shall not be named." He left here on his own accord. Saying that he's "not here to defend himself" is a load of garbage when he was the one who removed himself from the situation.

The facts are I also agree very much so with James. Even though I haven't been around here as long, I watched this very quickly turn into the 'good old boys' club. People quickly changed their attitudes from helpful and kind to 'how dare you criticize my work.' The posts and tones from certain individuals clearly reflected a 'you owe me' type of attitude and a 'look what I have that you don't' kind of a thing. It got real old, real fast. And THATS when the forum decline started to happen.

I believe the phrase 'All good things' applies in this situation. So maybe its just time to let it die.
JDMFARMS
Forum Team
Joined January 2014

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2019, 03:04:48 pm »

Ok, i think we have given enough on this at the moment for Russ and Olli to chew on. Let's table it for a bit and see what they have in store for rallying the community.

Please don't PM me; use the forum so others can learn too!
KimG
MVP
Joined April 2015

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2019, 03:10:51 pm »

These kind of comments are Exhibit A in the decline of FSUK.

And your kind of comment is surely the epitome of good taste and positive thinking no doubt, I refer you to my observation in my initial post, about flowers and fairy cakes. If you find other forums more appealing, why are you hanging around here where you are obviously completely dissatisfied?

Blue Painted
Veteran
Joined January 2017

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2019, 03:19:17 pm »

My turn to get flamed Smiley

In my opinion (which is correct, who is so stupid they hold opinions they know to be wrong??) these last few comments are symptomatic:

We see the same old grudges aired time and time again. Once you've aired your view, just let it go.

There's too much squabbling and arguing with the mods; too many threads derailed to grind one's own axe.

If you post something and a mod doesn't like it and moderates it and you feel unfairly treated, then take it to PM ("take it to email" as it was a long time ago)

And finally ... if you don't like it here, you're free to to create your own forum, run to your own rules.

Ford tractors, Claas combines and Dowdeswell ploughs!
Russ
Admin
Joined March 2009

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2019, 04:02:57 pm »

There's a lot of opinions in this thread.

Yes, the main reason for the drop in traffic is social media. No, we didn't always do everything right. Internet forums are terrible places at the best of time. Being behind a computer just seems to bring out the worst in everyone.

It's been a real rollercoaster, and very overwhelming. We've had times where we wanted to close the forum for good. We've had times when we loved it. When it got too much for us to manage, we made mistakes. We had too many cooks in the kitchen sometimes, and sometimes not enough. There's a hundred things we could have done better, but that's life.

It'd be really "easy" for us to just appoint another forum manager. However, I don't think that's the right thing to do here. I'd rather me and Oli come up with what's next - after all, we have nearly 10 years experience of this place - we know what works and what doesn't work.

So in short, I agree with every single post in this thread. We suck, and we're great. We're never going to get it 100% right, ever.

Want to chat about Farming Simulator? Join our Discord
TSM
Formerly 'Tycoonspaceman'
1000+
Joined June 2013
"Trust yourself. You know more than you think"

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2019, 04:28:01 pm »

I agree with every single post in this thread. We suck, and we're great. We're never going to get it 100% right, ever.

If you do then you should try to sort out world peace just after Smiley

I think Blue Painted hit nail on the head old grudges its the internet move on its not worth it.

In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends.

"by John Churton Collins"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Back Top of page